Saturday, May 21, 2011

The Switch

I have now done the one thing that I swore I would NEVER do when it came to babies - cloth diapers. And as incredibly ludicrous as it may sound, they're not that bad! I have always had such a negative opinion of cloth diapers, probably because when I thought of them I envisioned those old school ones fastened on with a ginormous safety pin, leaking everywhere and everything else gross that goes along with diapers. I have a sister in law whose been trying to talk me into "going cloth" since before Sophie was born, but that wasn't happening. Lately, with Eli back in school and working less, we've been doing everything we can think of to save a little cash, cloth diapers were brought into the discussion as a mere joke. Shortly thereafter, I was in Colorado visiting family and friends, and found out that both my sister in law (a different one) and a good friend of mine were also doing cloth. So, after hearing about how much money they save and how great they are for the environment, I did a little research. Turns out cloth diapers have come a long way. So, we've traded in our Huggies, helped the environment (not something I'm super worried about, but it sounds good), and "gone cloth." They're actually no where near the work I thought they'd be, super soft on her little butt, about the same size as a disposable, and come in patterns so cute I'm considering buying t-shirts to match and calling it an outfit.

No comments: